What you need to know about water damage in Tampa Bay
Having good insurance is essential protect against water damage. If you're in the Tampa Bay area, here's some things you need to know:
Water Damage Insurance
If you're a homeowner, chances are that you will experience some type of water damage while you live in your home. Water can cause serious damage to your roof, walls, floors and foundation, so it's important to make sure your homeowner's insurance will cover your damages.
Most homeowner's insurance is defined as type HO-2 or HO-3 which covers various kinds of water damage in Tampa that can occur in your home, with the exception of floods. It most states, homeowner's insurance doesn't protect your home against flood damage since most insurance providers require a separate flood policy. However, your basic policy may cover other types of disasters that can result in water damage to various areas of your home. If your specific disaster is covered under your policy, your homeowner's insurance will reimburse you up to the maximum coverage, minus your deductible.
Typical homeowner insurance policies cover accidental water and steam discharges and overflows from plumbing leaks and broken pipes in the walls and under sinks; heating and air conditioning equipment like hot water heaters; appliances like washing machines and dishwashers; and automatic fire sprinklers. In general, your homeowner's policy will typically pay for unexpected and accidental damages from interior water sources, but it usually doesn't pay for damage caused by outdoor water sources that find their way into your home. The place where the water originates may determine no matter your loss is or is not covered.
Although claims for damages can be small, insurance providers are concerned about more serious problems with mold and mildew that can occur. If damages aren't fast and properly repaired, mold and mildew growth can lead to health issues like allergies, asthma and respiratory problems. Hidden leaks inside walls or in a basement or attic can go undetected for years. Insurance providers are specific about the types of damages they cover due to the expense of potential repairs and health risks. Tampa Water damage can be minor or major, but even minor damages can result in costly repairs. If you have a claim, it's important to note that it's the damage to your home that's covered, not the repair of the failed item. If you have a broken pipe that results in water damage, your insurance will pay for the costs to open up and repair the wall to access the pipe, but it will not pay to repair the broken pipe itself.
When you own a home, amazing homeowner's insurance is essential, but it's important to know what your policy covers. Shop around to find amazing homeowner's insurance in your area. Look for a policy with coverage, deductibles and monthly premiums that meet your needs and your budget. SERVPRO is a 24/7 emergency water removal & flood clean up repair service company, Our technicians are highly trained and experienced with every water damage in Tampa situation.
The dangers of Water Damage
Water issues damages 1000's of homes and properties each year due to floods, extreme weather events and plumbing disasters. The problem with water inside your home is the fact that there are a variety of environmental concerns that can affect your health.
Tips include reducing your risk of mold and mildew, which is bacteria and structural damage to your home that will cost you thousands of dollars.
High humidity levels may cause your foundation and walls to crack. Foundation repairs are one of the most costly problems you face when owning a home.
The Tampa water damage inside your home can cause your expensive appliances to fail. Water damage tips include finding the source of water leakage. If your problems result from plumbing pipes, then you should turn off the main water valve and seek help from a professional.
- Lower humidity levels in your home by removing wet items such as rugs, carpets and furniture. Use a large fan to keep air moving inside your home.
- If flood waters enter your home, you should immediately vacate the area. Plan ahead for natural disasters by packing important papers inside waterproof bags.
- Most areas of the country that are prone to flooding have warning systems in place.
- Listen carefully to the news when heavy rains are headed into your area.
- Flood waters are almost impossible to remove without consulting a professional service.
- Make sure you have flood coverage on your homeowners policy. If you live in a flood zone, then you should prepare in advance.
- Stock up on canned meats, fruits and vegetables that don't need to be cooked.
- Your home can fast become flooded even from running your washing machine.
- Never leave your home while your washing machine is running.
- Wet floors and carpeting must be completely dry to prevent mold and bacteria from forming.
- A professional service will remove the wet items and dry your floors. Check your homeowners policy to ensure your furniture, carpets and other items are covered. Planning ahead for natural disasters is the key to reducing costs.
- Prepare an emergency strategy with all members of your family that include severe weather events and flooding.
Our technicians are highly trained and experienced with every Tampa water damage, situation from sewage damage clean up, mold removal, smoke damage repair, Tampa fire damage repair, flooded basement, wet carpet, wet walls, carpet water damage, basement Tampa water damage, flooded crawl space, sewer backup and sewage removal.